Monday, January 10, 2011

Organizing The Pantry...

For Christmas this year my parents gave our family food storage.  In fact they gave all six of the Sant siblings food storage...which was a generous and useful gift!  My parents have always been two of the most resourceful pair I've known.  Parenting six kids will probably do that to you.  And with the price of food on the rise, my dad in his wisdom thought it a wise thing to stock pile some away for a rainy day!  My parents really know how to rock "provident living."  So as one of my goals this year, I've set out to rotate and utilize my food storage.  I may even learn how to make bread from wheat that I grind myself.  I get a little giddy just thinking about it.  I had no idea that being prepared for a rainy day would bring me so much peace.


 I have six shelves to help keep things organized.  
1. Is for drinks and water.
2. Is for breakfast foods.
3. Is for lunch and dinner.
4. Is for baking supplies.
5. Is for snack foods.
6. Is for whatever.



I bought Italian canning jars for storing bulk ingredients.  They are air tight and clear glass, so I can see what I have and how much.  The brand is Fido, and I first saw them at Sur La Table.  They were available in several sizes.  But I'm to frugal...yes that sounds better than cheep...so when I saw them at Homegoods and for much less than half the retail price, I had to bring them home.  With some of the food storage sorted and stored I'm thinking I might just pop over to my moms house to learn how she makes her amazing whole wheat bread. I'll let you know if this old dog can learn any baking tricks!



 

3 comments:

  1. I got those same jars. They were hard to find so I had to go practically over the whole damn state of Utah to all the TJMaxx and our ONE Home Goods to get them. You got a better supply of sizes. So far I've only seen the smallest ones and quart size. So awesome. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh me, Oh my! I finally fixed whatever was blocking me from commenting on your blog! Watch out. I have plenty of things to comment on - all good though! I'm going to go back and comment on all the past posts I couldn't before!

    You are amazing! You make food storage look fun, exciting and fashionable all at the same time. How come I can't do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn how to make bread too so invite me along, please!

    ReplyDelete