Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lentils=Delicious


It has been really cold here in sunny Florida, so I've made chili for my family a lot.  They really like it but I don't want it to wear out it's welcome.  So when I was skimming through one of my favorite food blogs cannelle et vanille I saw a recipe for lentil soup.  I've never cooked anything with lentils, I've had them a few times and liked them, but lentils=food storage and I'd placed them in the category of "end the world" food.  Besides I've always strived for convenience and anything that requires planning and soaking hasn't been on the top of my list.  But with lentils there is no soaking required.  However Aran suggests soaking the lentils for four hours, she says that they cook better and it helps with digestion.  She's the pro, so I followed the recipe only omitting the turnip and chorizo.  I doubled the chicken stalk and lentils so that I could get two meals out of it.  What was the end result you ask?  Delicious...Amazing...Flavorful...Nourishing, really I could go on and on!  Someone needs to be a cheerleader for lentils! They are also really high in protein and fiber and inexpensive.  I am definitely going to put this recipe on my staples list.  Be brave and try it, I hope your family likes it as much as mine did!



Not only are her recipes amazing but the way Aran stylizes and shoots her food is so beautiful.  She truly is an artist.
Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup

Makes 8 servings

3 Tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 turnip, diced
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
¼ red kuri squash, peeled and diced
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 chorizo, sliced
1 qt chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup French lentils or any other kind you like
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
5 springs of thyme


Rinse the lentils and cover them with water. Let them soak for about 4 hours. It’s not completely necessary but I find that they cook faster and are better for digestion.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, carrot and celery and cook them for about 5 minutes. We don’t want to caramelize them, just sweat them.

Add the tomato paste, chorizo and rest of vegetable and cook them for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, water, thyme, lentils, pepper and salt. Stir and bring this to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and let the lentils cook for about 45 minutes until tender. Adjust seasoning to your taste and serve with your favorite gluten-free (or not) bread, cheese toast or plain.


I am so happy that my family is willing to be subjected to taste testing new dishes that I make with the food storage that I am rotating on our shelf.   It makes me feel kinda...thrifty and industrious...resourceful and responsible...but mostly adventurous!


2 comments:

  1. looks and sounds delicious. I've wanted to try lentils and this may be the winner. Parsnips? Who knew Gary and Linda were so trendy? Glad we like that kind of stuff. I will give it a go. Winter here needs some spicing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember if I already left you a comment last time I looked at your blog. First off your blog is so pretty! I should have figured it would be after seeing your cute house. If I ever need to get some inspiration, I will come see your latest projects. LOVE YOUR BLOG!

    ReplyDelete