Saturday, January 29, 2011

Birthday Cake

It was Mike's 41st b-day yesterday, and every year he asks for the same thing...a German chocolate cake.  Well with age he has simplified his requests.   It used to be two cakes, some balloons and maybe a clown if I could manage that.  He LOVES his birthday!  Oh ya...and the cake needs to be homemade.  The last few years his "homemade German chocolate cake" request has been provided thanks to my sister Gabriella.  She loves to bake and is REALLY good at it.  I on the other hand...not so much!  Well dam*** if she isn't off living her dream in Utah...while I'm stuck here having to bake a birthday cake for my husband.  I guess I should be grateful for her absence even though I really miss her...because it's forced me to become a better cook/baker!  Lets just say that I've been a little out of my comfort zone when a holiday pops up on the calender.  The truth is since I've had no other choice but to step up to the challenge...I've learned that I actually...and please don't tell anyone this... like to cook/bake!  I made this delicious "homemade German chocolate cake" for Mike...he was so pleased.  



 
We just finished the cake for breakfast and it was even better the second time around.  My family is so proud of me for my efforts and successes in trying new things.  So I promise that next time I look at a complicated recipe and say "ya right"...I'll remember that with a little patience anything is possible!  And now, I can make Mike's b-day cake all on my own.  Happy Birthday Mike!!!

2 comments:

  1. I too LOVE German chocolate cake. Yours looks so very yummy. The topping is the very best part. And, Hello!, for breakfast too. That is a Happy Birthday :-)
    If you haven't figured it out by now....YOU can do ANYTHING. You're like Midas. All the projects and challenges you put your mind to is gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still mad at myself for not just showing up so I could try some of that yummy cake. :)

    ReplyDelete